Popular carnatic raagams in cinema music are kalyani, mohanam, reethigowlai and perhaps a few hundred others. Very good adaptations which have bowled over the common people are:
1. Reethigowlai Raagam - Azhagaana Ratchasiye from Mudhalvan, Kadhal Neruppu from Veyyil, Sudum Nilavu from Thambi and Chinna Kannan Azhaikiran from Kavikuyil ( a really old movie)
2. Abheri - Kannodu Kanbathellam from jeans.
3. Sahana -Azhage Sugama from Parthale Paravasam
4. Sri Raagam - Theendai from En Swasa Katre ( a very tough raaga adapted brilliantly)
5. Revathi - Kaaka song from Naan Avan Illai (Thanks to a knowledgable friend of mine who told me this)
6. Yaman Kalyani - Varaagha Nadhikarai Oram from Sangamam
7. Mohanam - Paakadhey Paakadhey in Gentleman
8. Naatakurinji - Kannampoochi yenada from Kandukondein Kandukondein (it has some traces of Sahana in some places in between)
9. Ananda Bairavi - Mettu Podu from Duet
10. Sindu Bharaivi - Enge Enadhu Kavidhai from Kandukondein Kandukondein.
This list is just an arbitrary one. If you want to know more, click here. (Thanks to Hawkeye)
Now coming to my main theme, I always felt that carnatic music singers themselves did not do much to make it appealing to the common man. For all the carnatically-challenged souls like me, the raaga alapanais and other such intricacies are lost in the quest for Vadai and badam halwa being served outside.
In this scenario, I heard the Maadu Meikkum Kanne song in Youtube and was really felt that songs like these will definitely go a long way in helping common people get attracted to carnatic music. For all those who want to give it a try, I have added the esnips link (courtesy: Blogeswari).
|Madu Meikum Aruna ...|
If you really want to know how it could change the atmosphere in a concert, look at this video and the violin vidwan's bit too!
I loved this song and incidentally when I spoke to my carnatically - challenging sister, she told that this song was written for the younger lot - especially the 5 - 7 year olds who are learning music. Perhaps I have one strong claim to being young! :p