Thursday, May 07, 2009

Nrusimha Jayanthi



May 7th marks Nrushimha Jayanthi this year. I can still remember the Saturdays when I made the trip to the Yoga Nrusimhar temple in Velachery. Quite a quaint little temple and the bhattacharyar there was quite proficient too, taking time to tell you the Sthala Puranam. The only other place where I was impressed with the bhattacharyar was at the Varadharaja Perumal Swamy temple in Kanchi (its a different matter that he gave me some chakkarapongal and paanagam arbitrarily - the only apparent reason I can see being that I was a brihmacharin and he was looking for punniyam).




The posture of Sri Yoga Nrusimha in this temple is west-facing with four hands and sitting, which is quite rare. The Goddess is Amirthabalavalli. The Utsavar is Bhakthavatsala Perumal, flanked by Sridevi and Bhoodevi on His either sides.The'Sri Veda Narayana Perumal' in Manimandapam west faced with Prayoga Chakra. The only other places where I know Vishnu with the Prayoga Chakra are Chettipunyam, Thiruvoraiyur and the Veetru-irundha Raaman at Nemili.




If you are a believer and are in madras, do visit:

1. Hindu Article
2. Temple Tour

1 comment:

D LordLabak said...

Whats happening here?